Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Fun






















For those who celebrate Easter, either religiously or culturally, I hope you had a great Easter weekend. We love all the fun activities that surround Easter, even though we are Hindus. More interestingly, I got a text message from Ravi's Sunday School teacher (from the temple) and it said, "Happy Easter to you and your family". So, while not everyone who celebrates Easter is a Christian, we all get in on the act of having fun with the kids.

We started our little mini holiday by dyeing eggs on Thursday. A neighbor or two came over, as well as one of Lakshmi and Priya's friends and her mom. I sat up the dyeing station on the table, and I let the kids take over after we tossed a coin to see what order everyone would go in. They had so much fun, and I really enjoyed watching them. It was the first year where they were in charge, and I was a bystander. I did dye one egg though. : )

Friday night we dyed a few more eggs and the neighbor kids came over again to get in on the act. We had so much fun doing it, that I didn't want it to end. LOL

I spent the day Saturday making Easter cookies (photos to follow...they are so cute). The kids told me what they wanted me to do with the cookies. I dyed some frosting blue and using my decorating kit, I made all types of designs. They were cute, but I wish I had a professional kit. The kids wanted bunnies, kittens, peace signs, flowers, clovers, and more. I just did whatever came to mind and they turned out great.

I spent half a day cooking and decorating those cookies. I also made a new dish called Baltic potatoes, which had a slightly Indian flavor, but very different in the same way. Priya was spending the night with my brother and sis in law, and Ravi and Lakshmi were going to their dads house for the holiday.

So guess what I did? I went out on a date! I won't share that much about it, but I'll just say he was a gentleman, and we enjoyed the company. This was my first date since my divorce.

Sunday I went to my parents house for Easter lunch, and Priya came alone with my brother and sis and law and their kids. Ravi and Lakshmi missed the fun because they were at their dad's house. I missed them too. At about ten till 5pm, we had a quick egg hunt in the house, since it was raining outside, then Priya and I, and all her goodies, took off to pick Ravi and Lakshmi up at the police precinct at 6pm. It was a 1 hour drive. It was the best easter day when Ravi and Lakshmi came home with us. To top off easter, we went to temple that night, and then home afterwards.

Since Ravi and Lakshmi missed the celebrations with us (they had an empty plastic easter egg hunt at their dads) we started all over on Monday morning, with candy and eggs for breakfast. I noticed the kids were getting a little jittery, and I made them have a real meal, and I put away all the candy. There was a chorus of "awwwww's" and "noooooo mommy", but things settled down and we are back to our regular life. Looking forward to the next holiday, no matter if it is Christian or Hindu. It's our life and we enjoy the fun!

1 comment:

Stone Fence Farm said...

J,

We aren't practicing anything and we still celebrate Easter. It's a Spring holiday and Spring took a long time to get here.