






As the official MLK holiday begins, particularly in my city of Memphis, TN, all of us who hope for peace for the entire world wide, remember Martin Luther King for his courageousness, strenght, love for peace and dignity and hope for a more peaceful time. Because our city and it's people will forever be linked to finding equality and peace for all people, I feel blessed to share information on my blog which will help others feel an obligation to join in the march for peace and equality, for all people; men, women and children.
When my son was six years old, he was facsinated with Martin Luther King and Gandhi, and asked for posters so he could have them both in his bedroom to look at. He used to ask so many questions about both men. I was so glad to have mentally healthy men (although no longer living) that my son could look up to. I couldn't answer his questions to his liking. We checked out every single book about Martin Luther Kings life, from the Memphis Public Library. I know the day we carried those books into our home, we could no longer say, "someone else will do this".
Martin Lughter King was not alive to talk to, and Mohandas Gandhi was not alive either. I felt that at least Gandhi's grandson was alive and we could talk to him to get his views on peace and equality. Since Arun Gandhi and his wife Sunanda Gandhi lived in Memphis, we called and asked if we could come for a visit. He invited us to his M.H. Gandhi Institute for Nonviolence, which was located on the campus of Christian Brother's University, in Memphis.
Knowing that we were going to meet an Indian, a relative of Mohandas Gandhi, India's "Father of the Nation", we dressed in our Indian clothing. As we went down the dark stairs to the basement at CBU, I was struck by the simple location where Gandhi's institute would be. As we approached the door, two double than life size photos of Gandhi hung from the walls, and I knew we had arrived. We walked in and Arun and Sunanda's desks were straight ahead. They both got up to great us and treated us like long lost friends. Arun took us into the Gandhi room, where the book shelves were lined with literature of Gandhi, and some penned by Arun himself. Posters with King and Gandhi hung on the wall, and the photo story of Gandhi's life in hugh life likeness hung from the walls too. Arun told us to look around and we did, and we looked at the photos of Gandhi from the time he was young man until he was assasinated by one of his guards. It was emotional. Arun came back and pointed out the books, posters and bumper stickers where they collected money for the institute. He told me that unfortunately, the local Indian community (one filled with great wealth) had not "yet" begun to support this effort. He told us that Gandhi wanted one thing. He wanted people to treat each other with dignity, and for all to understand nonviolence. Gandhi died immediately after India became independent from England, and sadly never got to see the country become fully independent.
When I was in India in 1997, the whole country was celebrating the 50th anniversary of India's independence, and every person I visited with proudly showed me their bookshelves where at least three books about Mohandas Gandhi sat. I read as many as I could. At each house, there was always another book just as interesting as the book at the last house. I wished to know this man. Little did I know that my path would one day lead me to his devoted grandson, Arun Gandhi.
Anyway, Arun impressed in me that the journey that Gandhi took, was the very same journey that Martin Luther King took.
And apparently, the two spoke of this struggle, and how to inspire the people.
Our city has come along way, but not far enough. It isn't just the African American that is still oppressed, but women of all races. King and Gandhi have very important messages, both men before their time. Please take time to visit this website I am sharing here. One of our local stations is sharing the achieves from Martin Luther King's speeches, video of the sanitation strike and riots, sit ins, both peaceful and violent, and follows up with Mrs. Kings story about what happened.
The website has a timeline, teaching material for classrooms and so much more. Please visit the website, Martin Luther King in Memphis
I hope you take time to watch the video's, and perhaps one day you will come here to visit Lorrain Hotel and National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, to learn more about what happened back then, and what you can do to make our entire world more peaceful!
Last spring, my friend Peirre visited me in Memphis, and he wanted to visit the National Civil Rights Museum. It was the first time I had visited (I have children who were too young to visit before that time). Peirre is a wonderful friend of my who was my room mate in California 20 + years ago. As we walked through the museum, we could not hold back the tears.
Because you can't see me, you don't know my race. I am Caucasion, and Peirre is African American. I don't know what was more impressive as we walked arm and arm, with three little Indian children in tow; the tears in our eyes, or the smiles on the faces of those around us, who seemed to think we were partners! Anyway, we have always had great fun pretending that we are married out in public, because in San Diego, CA in 1985, we did shock alot of people. If there was one other thing I could do in life before I die, besides raise my beautiful children into healthy adults, it would be to help the world see that we are all traveling on the same journey, not one of race, religion or any other one thing, but simple humanity.
Shanti,
Jyotsna
Click Here to Advertise on My Blog
No comments:
Post a Comment