Wednesday, July 01, 2009

The Cookie Jar, repost


This is a repost from a former blog.

This morning while I was deeply sleeping, my heart skipped a beat. I sat up in the bed and listened. I heard a squeak. Then I heard pitter patter. My detective-mom skills honed in to an unmistakable sound. The clink of a cookie jar. I jumped out of my bed and ran down the hall way, very quietly. I peared around the doorway into the kitchen, and there was a mouse, who looked just like my Priya, sitting on the kitchen cabinet, eating a cookie! It was 6am.

When I breathed in, Priya jerked her little arms around and put the cookie on the cabinet and hopped down! I asked her what she was doing, and she said......"Lakshmi asked me for a cookie, so I was getting one for her". As far as I knew, Lakshmi was sound asleep, because she was in the next bed over when I woke up, eyes shut, breathing shallowly. So knowing full well that she was eating the cookie, I took her by the hand and said, "Lets go see what Lakshmi has to say about this". Lakshmi was "wide awake" sitting up in bed by now. I relayed the story that Priya told me and Lakshmi said, "No, I didn't eat a cookie!". I told Lakshmi that Priya said she got a cookie for her. I felt around on the sheets and sure enough there were cookie crums in the sheets. I asked Lakshmi where the cookie crums came from (did they fall from heaven?) and she said, "Priya raised me up and put the cookie crums under me, and I didn't know they were there (this from a SID kid!)." Then I asked her to let me see her tongue. She held her mouth shut tight and frowned at me. I told her I must inspect her mouth for cookies. She finally allowed me, and sure enough, there were peices of cookies in her mouth! LOL. I asked her how the peices of cookies got into her mouth, and she said, "Priya put the cookie crums in my mouth"! Then I asked Priya, "who really ate the cookies, you or Lakshmi". She finally admitting to eating ONE cookie. I told Lakshmi that if she didn't tell me the truth, I could count the cookies in the cookie jar and see if they were telling the truth! (I don't have any idea how many cookies are in there!) Lakshmi admitted to eating one, and then Priya said, "It was Lakshmi who actually got the cookies (remember Priya was sitting in the kitchen eating cookies when I walked in). So I told the girls to follow me to the kitchen. I got out the cookie jar and opened it, ready to count. Priya appeared at the door and said, "I only had ONE cookie". I told her that it looked like she had more, and then she said....."Mommy, there were twenty cookies in the jar, I ate one this morning, Lakshmi ate one this morning, and YOU had one yesterday. So that means only three cookies are missing". I cracked up about that one! LOL.

So while I am writing this post, I asked the girls to stand in the hallway and think about their punishment. Priya immediately said, "I want a spanking"! Lakshmi argued with her and said, "I don't want a spanking, it would hurt. I want to stand in the corner". Priya said, "but a spanking would be fast, then we could go on and play". Lakshmi said,"What does a spanking feel like?". Priya said, "I think it tingles". I am listening to this and cracking up!

Finally, they decided to come tell me that they are sorry and they won't ever do it again. I really need to remember every one of these mischevious things they do. Thankfully it is nothing like the time that Priya at age four, climbed to the top of our 7 foot china cabinet to get the sissors I hid, and proceeded to cut off all of Lakshmi's beautiful hair! Does that say anything about their "love" for each other? !!!!!

No comments: