Saturday, June 20, 2009

Gujurati Cuisine (Indian food!)


The children and I pray and eat with the Gujurati community here once a week. They are close to our house, and they have been very accepting of us, treating the children like their own too. We have benefitted from this experience, as well as they have. Sometimes for example, the only time during the week when some of the old ladies practice English is when they chat with me. I have a particularly sweet older friend who is well educated, but never worked here in the US. We have a great time chatting with one another from politics to cultural likenesses and differences. She is able to see both sides of the Indo-American life.

We often eat together, and this usually gives me the chance to serve her, bring her food (although she is always determined to do this herself), and if she wants an extra gulab jamun, then I'll get it for her. I've learned alot about Gujurati's from her. It's just one of the many pleasures of stepping out of my comfortable cultural experience.

Since going to the temple, I have been taking prashad/prasad/prasadam (same thing)after each arti service. I have taken a particular liking to Gujurati cuisine, and I am hoping one of my readers will be able to point me in the direction of some excellent "veg" recipes where I can try my hand. I simply love the dal that they make. It is surprisingly sweet. Every Sunday I drink karee, eat dal, chawl, salad, curry, chapati and more. On special occassions there are trays of sweets, and on simple days, we have the simple kichidee with lime or mango pickle.

So, if you are a Gujurati cuisine affecionado, please share your resources with me!

Jyotsna

No comments: