Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Do you tell?

On a disaster preparedness/food storage board online that I've visited, the credo is not to tell if you are storing food. The fear is that others will come to get some of your food in times where food may be scarce. The biggist fear is that others will come with guns to take your food, pilage you garden and food storage, and your ammo (I don't come close to storing "ammo" so don't bother coming to my house! I'm close enough to a pacifist that I will never have these things).

So, are these people paranoid, or are they being accurate about our dire economic situation? Do you tell, or do you keep it secret, "Mums the word?".

Tell me what you would do.


So here are a couple of responses:

My instinct and values tell me not to make a decision based on fear.

he he! paranoid, I think! From reading your blog, it made me realize that I should think about food storage too, at some point. SO you inspired me, not made me want to take your stuff. :P


Agree with both of you. And I've been following several blogs and websites where the authors have talked about their food storage. I didn't want to rob them after know they have food stored. And I don't think that I would react the way people reacted during Katrina. But I don't know. We just don't know how we would, as humans, hungry and thristy humans, would behave, if we were put in the same situation, or worse. Imagine finding yourself in one of the earthquake ravaged places in China. Our most important need is to have water, food and shelter. People forget what they are doing when they find themselves without these things. So, I understand why some people are saying "don't tell about your stockpile, your full pantry, your bountiful garden", but I don't think I could live if I knew my next door neighbor was starving.

Hmmm, leaves alot to think about.

Jyotsna

3 comments:

Amy T said...

My instinct and values tell me not to make a decision based on fear.

LinZi said...

he he! paranoid, I think! From reading your blog, it made me realize that I should think about food storage too, at some point. SO you inspired me, not made me want to take your stuff. :P

RadhaNarasimhan said...

I took a workshop on this subject and survival training a few years ago. They were suggesting to form networks with your trusted neighbors to share supplies and resources. The goal here was also protection if worst comes to worse so you would not be alone if people started looting and committing crimes.