Monday, January 14, 2008

Homeschooling Update



The kids have been doing well and every once in a while, Ravi hits a bump in the road with math. But so far he is able to break out of it after a little help. Recently he hit a LARGE bump in the road, and I became concerned about him. At another time I was helping Priya with her work, something that Ravi was having a review on, and Priya had the concept all down. When I asked her about it, she couldn't help but laugh. I KNEW that Ravi had been helping her, which is just fine. So Priya didn't want to tell me he was helping, so instead she suddenly said she didn't know how (a page full of division done right). Well, look at that, Ravi does know how to do it (when doing the division with a r as remainder).

I know that the school was not adequetely teaching my children. That is why we are homeschooling. However, they were the BEST in elementary public schools in our area.
Ravi had a very bad year last year in his fourth grade class, and his teacher kept saying Ravi wasn't applying himself. I can see that sometimes. However, he is doing so well this year, and our hours of actual school work are so low, that I could say we could get the same work done at home in 2 to 3 hours, that the school got done in 7 1/2 hours.

Now I will readily admit that sometimes I wake up in the morning and wish that the little yellow school bus would pull up at our house and take my kids away from me for 7 1/2 hours. But all in all, I feel my kids are learning things that they have never learned before. For one thing, my kids are pretty decent at using a computer. All they could do at school was play games. And my kids have hiked and camped on an 80 acre farm, put up a smallish swimming pool, and spent hours riding bikes. They had tossed stones in a lake, observed the cloud formations and tested out a solar oven. In school there is just not time for these things.

I think the kids are doing well with math, reading (very well) and the rest they will learn at their own interest. I look forward to continuing this homeschooling adventure, which has definate leanings towards unschooling.

Jyotsna








Powered by WebRing.








Click Here to Advertise on My Blog

No comments: