Last night the kids and I went to the temple (about 35 miles from Memphis). We haven't been since Ganesha Chatuthi, due to the fact that I was in the process of studying for my exam (which was in April...so no more excuses!). We had a wonderful time there. There has been a special Kubhabisheikam by Sri Ganapathi Sachidanada Swamiji, going on at the temple this past week. The deities have been taken from the temple, they are being washed, and will be brought back in. Right now the doors are closed on the locations where each deity is usually located, and I have never seen that before.
Last night we came to the temple for the cultural program, which included Sri Ganapathi Sachidinada Swamiji. He and his musicians played and sang bhajans, some of which I knew, and some specifically to him. There were MANY American white and Indian devotees, who had all travled from all over, to see him.
My kids had a wonderful time last night. Ravi roamed the temple grounds playing with the boys his age, and Lakshmi and Priya stayed with me, but giggled with the little girls around us. There was also a Kuchipudi dance program which was wonderful,and I think Lakshmi is planning to be a dancer.
We were so happy there last night. The kids were feeling right at home after having alot of confusing situations at a Christian day camp ect;
The final icing on the cake was the WONDERFUL meal we were served before we were all done. Each day a lunch and dinner of a particular state would be served. Last night we had a Gujerati dinner. It was pleasently pleased about how tasty it was. Rice, dal, two veggies (bindu -okra and potato curry with a nice veggie gravy) and two delicious deserts, papaddum and puri. My kids weren't satisfied with one plate of food. They wanted to go back, so I made them wait until all of the people were served...all 500 people! Amazingly there was enough for extras. We took more rice, dal and potato curry. YUM!
After dinner, the kids ran and played with some new friends. They unfortunately are from Arizona, so they will be going back after Sunday.
Why am I posting all of this? With the Indianization complete, inside and out, with the moon shining over the temple, and a beautiful temperature outside. There was a positive vibration going on, and I felt very happy. This morning we all woke up with a glow; I feel we brought happiness into our home.
I can't get the smile off of my face. The entire temple grounds was just beautiful. I was there when they started the temple some 14 or 15 years ago, and it has gone from a concrete brick building, to a beautiful, harmonious temple. You can go to the temple website and look for Indianization photos (mostly showing the gopurums on top).
Today there is a special chakra puja (going on now) and lunch from Tamil Nadu, many more puja's and cultural program, and then dinner. This goes on till tomarrow. We will probably go back tomarrow, but we have a Fathers Day program to attend this afternoon.
To see our temple website, check here...
http://www.icctmemphis.org/cgi/tpl/new.php
To see a photo of the Indianizied temple (inside) click here...
http://www.icctmemphis.org/cgi/tpl/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_image&path=G37_Ayyappa_Mandalapooja_2005&img=5&tn=1#repos
Jyotsna
No comments:
Post a Comment