Sunday, June 05, 2005

Ayahs and Birthmothers

Today Lakshmi asked me if she could have a picture of her ayah, just out of the blue. This marks the very first time she has ever asked me about her adoption. Because I only had two photo's of Lakshmi in her orphanage (one from the child study- age 25 days, and one from the day I picked her up 2 1/2 months) neither of them had her ayah pictured.

I have seen a photo of the ayah that cared for Lakshmi, and I met her in person too when I picked up Lakshmi, but I didn't have time to get a photo (since Lakshmi was in my arms).
So I searched around today on the mailing list I am one for Calcutta adoptions and found a families photo of this ayah named Suchapita. I found a photo and copied it off for Lakshmi.
I wrote the name of the ayah on the photo and handed it to her, and she carried it around the house for the whole day. I asked her a couple of times if she would like me to put it in her lifebook, but she said no...she wanted to hold it. WOW. I had worried that I wasn't making a big enough deal about adoption with Lakshmi because she never brought it up on her own. But it seems she has indeed been thinking about it.

Jyotsna

No comments: